Anyone who has worked with a service-based nonprofit can attest to the remarkable work of volunteer managers. Volunteer managers act as guides, leaders, problem-solvers, and organizers to ensure effective community engagement. We at GivePulse are so excited to celebrate International Volunteer Managers Day (IVMDay) on November 5, 2019!
This year marks the 20th celebration of IVMDay. The theme of this year’s celebration is “Change the Tune.” This theme was chosen as a response to a common frustration: rehashing issues without finding a solution. IVMDay hopes organizations will take this opportunity to think about how they can change the tune of these conversations.
This is a theme very close to our hearts. We hope that on this day, we can be part of a broader conversation about how GivePulse can be used to help volunteer managers do their incredibly important work.
Whatever the capacity you work in, there are many ways that you can celebrate IVMDay:
- Just saying a simple “Thank you” can go a long way.
- Inform the organization’s board members the valuable work your volunteer managers do and how the volunteers are so critical. Make sure the executive director is informed too!
- Gather up a group of volunteers together and do a surprise “Thank you!!”. Throw in a hug and that will mean the world!
- Write a letter to your local newspaper highlighting the efforts of volunteer managers in your community.
- Send a thank you note or gift basket to a volunteer manager in your life.
- Host or attend an event in support of volunteer managers.
- If you are a volunteer manager, educate others in your organization and in your community about your role.
These are just a few ideas we put together — for additional ideas, check out the following IVMDay website. How will you celebrate the individuals who change lives through their work as volunteer managers? Let us know in the comments!
In addition, to celebrate IVMDay, GivePulse is kicking off our GivePulse Hero Campaign! If you or someone you know is a superhero volunteer, you can fill out this survey to explain why you think the person you are submitting for consideration deserves to be a GivePulse Hero. Some qualities we look for in a Hero are dedication, enthusiasm, and a deep rooted love of community.
This year, our GivePulse Hero will win a set of prizes and GivePulse swag (details are to-be-announced). We will also feature a spotlight about your efforts on our blog!
The GivePulse Hero Campaign is open until November 30th — so start nominating! We can’t wait to hear your stories.